27.3.08

We Do Not Need Universal Health Care

I want to say how grateful I am to God for what has just happened. I just called the billing office about my hospital expenses and found out that my bill of over $30,000, has been paid in full.

Now this is interesting, politically, because if you listen to a great many politicians (*cough* Hilary *cough cough* Obama), they will say that America needs a universal health care program. What they mean is a universal health insurance program. Because what we have now is a universal health care program. I had no insurance and yet was able to get a $10,000 surgery. And on top of that, my bill was paid, not by the government, but by individuals who donate money to charity.

"Whoa! Brandon, you mean the government isn't the solution?!" When have they ever been
the solution? Ever been to the DMV? Ever tried to file your taxes? When has the government ever done anything efficiently? Social Security is estimate to go bankrupt in 2041, Medicare to be thus by 2019. So it only makes sense to have yet another such program managed by the Federal Government.

In the immortal words of Ronald Reagan, "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."

-- August 19 Update --
I have had a second surgery (in a different county) since this was originally posted, so, including the above surgery, I have had $75,000 of medical bills paid for by private charity. I have a few thousand dollars of debt to pay off, but when I called the various institutions, each arranged for me to pay $10 per month. Very manageable, even for someone living technically poor (there are no poor Americans).

No comments: